19.5.10

Keeping me on my toes

Interwebz, I have a problem.

I have over 100 crafty/fashion/sewing/costume blogs in my rss feed. A year and a half ago, it hadn't really occurred to me to seek out or read crafty blogs, but now I just can't stop. There are only a handful of them that I will actually stop and read every post, usually I just skim down until I see a picture that catches my eye, and maybe, just maybe I'll read some of the associated text. And I wonder why I can't focus on anything. Blame the blogs.

Design Sponge is one of the ones I usually skim past, to be perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, it's a finely crafted blog. But it's updated about one million times per day which makes for a lot of posts to get through in the old reader. It's also one of those blogs that makes me feel inadequate for not living in an ultra-hip apartment made fabulous through my own handiness and eclectic design genius. My apartment looks nothing like anything on Design Sponge, believe you me.

But every now and then I see a post that is actually something I would actually do in my real life, not my fantasy fabu-life. So I thought I'd share a couple.



Mine looks much less romantic, and I skipped the strawberry consommé (this time).

(brb - just going to fill up another glass.)

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh. This is so amazingly simple and rewarding. It's basically grated ginger, sugar, water, lemon juice and yeast, mixed with two days of patience and a little ice. Sipping on this soda pop that I MADE makes me think of how great it would be to be sipping on actually alcoholic ginger beer that I MADE. There is research to be done. For now, the virgin version is fine by me.



I've had a similar version of one of these for a long time that I stuffed with newspaper as emergency seating when I have too many guests in my tiny, and not fabu-furnished apartment. I also have bags AND boxes of scraps in my closet to deal with, so more floor cushions are on the horizon. I plan to use the larger scraps for the cover and the smaller scraps for the stuffing. I also plan to add a zipper on the side to jam more scraps in there as time goes on and the stuffing compresses.

So, reader(s), wanna feed my addiction and let me know about your favourite blogs?
Or projects you've recently bookmarked? Those of the scrap-bustin' variety are most welcome.

6 comments:

Dana said...

Holy. Crow. I made ginger beer yesterday. Jessica B will testify! How weird is that? Haven't tried it yet, that's tomorrow or the next day, but I can hardly wait.

Mz. Whitney said...

It's clearly the season for ginger beer.

Mauzy said...

It's true! Came on down here to say so, but Dana has beat me to it. Though I must admit I had more of a supervisory role. I also highly recommend this with a bit of boiled-down rhubarb juice.

Andreae Callanan said...

As soon as I have a baby-free hour, I'm making oven mitts: http://www.prudentbaby.com/2010/05/make-oven-mitt.html

I can never find ones I like, and my current ones are burnt all to shit.

Tru said...

I'm a lot like you, just skim through a lot of blogs in reader and read the ones that look interesting. You might take a gander at my Blog http://tru-featsandaccomplishments.blogspot.com/

Mz. Whitney said...

Hi Tru,

I've been away from the blog for awhile, so I'm just seeing your comment now! Thanks for coming by. I love your crochet ballet slippers. I'm a firm believer in providing slippers for guests, so I'll be giving them a try. I don't crochet (yet), but I knit, and have always meant to check out the other side!