18.5.10

On A Go Forward Basis

How do these bloggers do it? I mean, I have a had enough time actually getting around to doing stuff, and then to write about it? I have developed such immense respect for people out there like Gertie, Peter, and The Selfish Seamstress, who not only embark on amazing and inspiring sewing adventures every day, but find the time to write about it in a wholly entertaining and engaging way. Just had to send out some props to those guys (and the hundred or so other blogs that keep me on the computer and away from the sewing machine!).

I'm into the second week of my internship with a production of The Jazz Singer (in Yiddish no less) and it's been so refreshing being back in a theatre environment after a while away. I've worked on a couple of little projects since I started sewing school, but it's great being in the costume shop all day working with fantastic people. So far I've drafted and sewn a couple of camiknicker sets (I don't know if that's a real word) and cut out 9 identical sequined chorus girl dresses.


Now, I can't claim the ones I made are quite as glamourous as this, but they're pretty sweet if I do say so myself. I'll try and get some photos of the costumes we're working on at some point.

In other news, I'm making myself a jean-ish jacket, sort of based on this one but not quite:

I have never in my life found a jean jacket that looks good on my big busted, narrow back-ed, short waisted physique, and am not crazy about the double-denim look (and do wear jeans at all times). So it's a jean-ish jacket. Found some white stretch cotton twill that I've had in my stash for, oh, 10 years now (actually recalling the age of items in my stash sort of makes me queasy). Got the jacket mostly made up except for collars, cuffs, facing and zip, but then the old machine called it quits. So I moved on to dyeing while waiting for my aggravation level to subside. Was hoping for a purplish grey colour, but ended up with a very much purple. We'll see if I overdye it or leave it be.

That's it for now, dear reader(s).

1 comment:

Fourth Daughter said...

I know what you mean about those great blogs keeping you away from the sewing machine.. I keep discovering more too... always makes me wonder what those ladies do for a day job if they write such great blogs! Your work sounds amazing, looking forward to seeing what you get up to!